Pests can be annoying, but they’re also potentially dangerous. Pests like rats and mice can carry diseases, while cockroaches are known to spread salmonella. It’s important to take pest control seriously before problems get out of hand.
Here are some tips for keeping your home and yard pest-free:
Table of Contents
Start with a regular maintenance program.
The first step to pest control in Vancouver is identifying the problem. A regular maintenance program can help you figure out what kind of pests you have, why they’re there and what they like to eat. Once you know this information, it’s easier to make decisions about how best to get rid of them.
The most common pests in Vancouver are cockroaches and fleas; however, termites are also becoming more common due to climate change and warmer winters allowing them into our homes more often than before. Other common household pests include ants (especially carpenter ants), spiders (including black widows) and silverfish/firebrats (which look like small silverfish).
Seal cracks and crevices.
Sealing cracks and crevices is important for pest control in Vancouver. Pests like to hide in these areas, so it’s important that you seal them up.
To seal cracks and crevices, you will need:
- A screwdriver or drill with a screwdriver bit attached at the end (you can use a power drill if you have one)
- Silicone caulk – this comes in different colors so make sure you pick one that matches your walls/flooring if possible!
Keep food sources away from pests.
As a general rule, you should keep food sources away from pests. This includes:
- Keeping foods in sealed containers.
- Not leaving pet food out overnight.
- Not leaving leftovers on your counter or sink for more than a few hours at most (if you must leave something out that long).
And finally, don’t leave any type of food on the floor–it’s not only unhygienic but also an easy target for small rodents like mice and rats!
Use traps or poisons in emergency situations.
If you’re dealing with an emergency situation and need to get rid of pests as soon as possible, then poison may be the best option. However, if you do choose to use it, there are several things that you should keep in mind:
- Read the instructions on the label carefully before applying any poison or trap. The instructions will tell you how much product you need for your particular problem and how best to use it.
- Use poisons only when there are no children or pets around (this includes indoor animals like cats). Children and pets can be very curious about new smells and tastes which have been found outside their normal range of experience; therefore, avoid using toxic substances within reach from where they play.
- If possible, place traps away from areas where children will come into contact with them such as walkways near doors leading out into gardens.
Pest control is easier when you’re proactive.
The best way to avoid pest control problems is to be proactive. The longer you wait, the more likely it is that your home will be invaded by pests. If you take care of these issues when they first arise, then there won’t be any reason for them to come back later on.
Pest control can be expensive if you don’t take care of things early on–and it’s even worse if those same pests return in larger numbers because they weren’t dealt with properly before! By being proactive about preventing future infestations and treating existing ones quickly and efficiently when they do happen, you’ll save yourself lots of money down the road (and probably some headaches).
Need Pest Control in Vancouver?
In conclusion, the key to successful pest control is to start early and be proactive. Pests are easier to deal with when they don’t have access to food sources and shelter, so it’s important to seal cracks and crevices in your home as soon as possible. Also keep in mind that traps or poisons may be necessary if you notice a problem before getting professional help!
If you have a pest problem that’s gotten out of control, our team is here to help. Give us a call today and our experts we’ll be by your side in no time!